Ohio Means Jobs - Huron County Download Applications Photo Español Aplicaciones Contact Us

Child Support -

Home    Parent Information    Employer Information    Enforcement    Paternity    Terminology

Child Support Photo

Who is eligible to receive child support services?
Anyone can apply for child support services. If you apply for and are approved for child support services, you are eligible for all services the CSEA can provide. However, the Child Support Enforcement Agency, CSEA, will require the cooperation of families who are recipients of public assistance or Medicaid to establish paternity, support orders, and enforce support orders.

What does the child support program do?
As the designated Title IV-D agency, the Huron County Child Enforcement Agency is responsible for:
1. Locating absent parents
2. Establishing paternity
3. Establishing, enforcing and modifying child and medical support orders
4. Collecting and distributing child support monies.

Can the CSEA help with visitation, custody or tax exemption issues?
No, the CSEA has no legal authority to address these situations. Custody or visitation are issues must be addressed through the court and should not be used as reasons not to pay support or to allow visitation.

Can the CSEA attorney help me with my legal questions:
No, the CSEA attorney does not represent the interests of custodial or non-custodial parent . The Huron CSEA attorney represents the State of Ohio as it pertains to child support issues in Huron County cases. Therefore any legal questions must be directed to your private attorney.

What is SETS?
SETS stands for Support Enforcement Tracking System. SETS provides an online, centralized enforcement tracking system accessible to local child support enforcement agencies in all 88 Ohio Counties. Every child support order in the State of Ohio is tracked through SETS. When your child support order is entered into SETS, all parties receive a “Welcome to SETS” letter that provides you with your (10) ten digit SETS case number. All SETS case numbers begin with the number (7) seven. For example, 700XXXXXXX. When contacting the CSEA you will be asked to provide your SETS case number or your Social Security number. Either of these numbers allows the CSEA professional easy access into your child support case to answer your questions. If you are paying support for more than one family, you will be assigned a SETS case number for each family situation. SETS supports front-line enforcement professionals in a wide variety of tasks, including collection, allocation and disbursement of support payments, as well as maintaining demographic information for each case participant.

What if the non-custodial parent gets behind in child support payments or refuses to pay?
If a non-custodial parent does not pay child support, that parent is subject to enforcement measures to collect regular and past-due payments. The Child Support Enforcement agency uses many techniques to enforce child support orders, including:
1. Requiring employers to deduct court-ordered child support from the non-custodial parent's paycheck through wage withholding
2. Intercepting federal income tax refund checks, lottery winnings, or other money that may be due from state or federal sources
3. Filing liens against the parent’s property
4. Reporting the support arrears to a credit agency
5. Blocking the issuance of a passport
6. Suspending driver’s, professional, and hunting and fishing licenses; and
7. Filing legal action against the non-custodial parent asking the court to enforce the order. Civil action is filed by the CSEA attorney. Felony non-support action is filed by the County Prosecutor.

A judge may sentence a nonpaying parent to jail and enter a judgment for past due child support.

How can I receive my child support payments?
Child support payments are made in one of three ways:
Direct deposit into your private bank account.
Electronic transfer of payments to the Ohio e-QuickPay SM Mastercard debit program. Payments are automatically loaded onto the e-QuickPay card and can be used at millions of MasterCard ATM and retailer locations in Ohio and around the world to make purchases or receive cash. Check out the e-QucikPay web site.
Check if you have a new child support case and have not yet enrolled in direct deposit or e-QuickPay.

How does SETS determine the amount of my support checks?
All child support incoming payments, (collections), are allocated in a pre-determined order (hierarchy). "Hierarchy" means a set of rules with higher or lower priorities. How this money can be allocated is determined by the source of the money (from obligor, employer, lump sum, Federal or State tax refunds, Unemployment Benefits, Workers Compensation, Pensions, etc.) and regulated by State or Federally mandated rules and regulations. For the most part, current child support and child support arrears are paid before all other obligations. Spousal support and associated arrears are paid next. Medical orders usually come next. After all of the above are paid, other obligations are paid, such as paternity testing fees or other special court ordered payments. Finally, current and past administrative fees owed to the CSEA, are paid.

Are there exceptions to these priorities?
Yes. Payments received from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may be allocated to reimburse past public assistance received by the custodial parent. Court orders may affect allocations, the most common occurrence being payments received from the Ohio Bureau of Worker's Compensation (OBWC). Attorney's representing non-custodial parents who receive a worker's compensation settlement often obtain a court order for payment of their fees from the settlement.

Why are withholding orders issued for a monthly amount?
A withholding order or Notice to Income Provider to Withhold Obligor Income/Assets is issued in a monthly amount because Ohio law requires monthly administration of all orders. To determine how much support should be withheld from each payroll/income cycles, the following formulas are used:
Weekly Payment = Notice Amount x 12 months divided by 52 weekly payrolls.
Biweekly Payment = Notice Amount x 12 months divided by 26 biweekly payrolls.
Semimonthly Payment = Notice Amount x 12 months divided by 24 semimonthly payrolls.
Monthly Payment = One (1) payroll per month.

What if I have an order for a weekly or biweekly support payment?
The CSEA administers weekly or biweekly support orders on a monthly basis. To determine your monthly support amount, the following formulas are used:
Monthly Amount = Weekly Amount x 52 weeks divided by 12 months.
Monthly Amount = Biweekly Amount x 26 weeks divided by 12 months.

Why is the total amount of my weekly support checks less than the monthly amount ordered?
There are actually 4.3 weeks in each month, not just four as most people assume. You will receive the difference in support during those months each year when there are 5 weeks in a month. Just as you are not being "overpaid" when you receive that fifth check during those months, you are not being "underpaid" in the remaining months.

How often should I receive a support check?
Keep in mind, upon receipt of the collection of support payments from individuals or employers, Ohio Child Support Payment Central (OCSPC) has 2 business days to process the collection through SETS. Your check is then printed and mailed from the Central Collection Center in Columbus, Ohio.

When a withholding order is first issued, the income provider or employer has fourteen (14) days from the date the CSEA issued the withholding notice to begin making deductions from their payroll/income cycle.

Once the cycle has been completed, the OCSPC has seven (7) days to receive the payment. This period allows for the issuance by the administrative process and handling schedules of the employer and postal delivery services.

How soon you receive the check may vary due to the location of your mailing address from Columbus Center, or the delivery schedule of the postal service?
A reasonable allowance for U.S. postal delivery is four (4) days.

Do holidays affect when I should receive a support check?
Yes. Both the U.S. Postal Service and the State are closed on: New Year's Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans' Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
These holidays may delay the receipt or disbursement of a collection.
U.S. Postal Service delivery also begins to slow during the Christmas season which extends from Thanksgiving Day in late November to December 25th.

Can my support check be delayed for any other reason?
Computer networks are vulnerable to damaged telephone lines, power outages and other technical problems. SETS is no exception.

How may I obtain information about my SETS support checks?
The Voice Response Unit (VRU) is available by calling 1-800-860-2555. This automated system is available 24 hours per day from your touch-tone or rotary telephone. By providing your social security number, you may obtain payment information, check information and balances due. This information is current as of the last completed business day.

What if I do not receive a check within these time frames?
Please check the VRU or Payment Status website before contacting the CSEA. If you have not received a check that was distributed to you (7) seven days have passed, or if you have a question about a check, please contact the Huron CSEA between 8am-4:30pm Eastern Time, Monday through Friday at 419 668 9152, or toll free 1 800 668 9152. If you have moved or changed your name and have not reported this information to the CSEA in writing, your payments may be delayed. CHILD AND SPOUSAL SUPPORT CHECKS WILL NOT BE FORWARDED!

What must I report to the CSEA?
All court and administrative orders require you to report name and address changes. You may either fax, mail or bring in your written update to the CSEA payment window.

Please include in your written request.
1. The old and new address including your new phone number.
2. Your social security number or SETS case number(s)
3. The name of the other party/parent in your case.

If you are receiving public assistance, food stamps, a medical card, day care, or JOBS services, you must also change your address/name with each departments. This information is not always shared between departments so please indicate on your written update which departments will need your information.

You should also report changes in employment or other sources of income if you are ordered to pay support or to provide medical coverage for your children. Reporting employment or income changes applies to the custodial parent if that parent is also ordered to provide health insurance for the children of the order.

Finally, you should also review your own court or administrative order as it may contain additional reporting requirements specific to your situation.

How do I make child support payments?
Payments can be made several ways:
Cash only payments may be paid at:
Huron County CSEA
185 Shady Lane Drive
Norwalk, OH 44857

Collection Window hours: 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
Payments received after 1:00PM will be credited to the next business day’s collection.

Personal check, certified check, cashiers check or money orders should be sent to:
Ohio Child Support Payment Central
P.O. Box 182372
Columbus, Ohio, 43218

The check or money order should be made out to: Ohio Child Support Payment Central.

Special Instructions: To be sure your payments are posted to the correct child support cases(s), you should also write your SETS case number(s) and Social Security number on the check.

Please allow four to five mailing days to insure that the payment is received on time.

Online Payment Option: To make online payments using your credit card, visit www.expertpay.com and enroll in this service

Do not make support payments directly to the custodial parent or caretaker.

Payments not made through the CSEA or the Ohio Child Support Payment Central will not generally be credited to your account and such direct payments are deemed a gift.

How can child support be changed?
The Huron County CSEA can assist individuals requesting a modification or recalculation of their child support orders if the individual has applied and been approved for child support services. The requesting party must complete an Application for Administrative Modification and provide proof that one of the following circumstances exists:
It has been 3 years or 36 months since the support order amount was set.
If it has not been 3 years, certain circumstances may allow a review.

These include the following:
1. A loss of employment that has lasted for at least 6 months, is expected to continue and is as a result of a non-voluntary action.
2. A 30% change in income on the part of either party that has lasted for a period of 6 months and is expected to continue. Voluntarily quitting a job or reducing hours is not an eligible circumstance.
3. A change in the cost of health insurance premium only for the children in the case and you are the party court-ordered to carry the insurance coverage on the children.
4. A change in the number of children in your case; e.g., a child has emancipated and the emancipation process is complete.
5. If either party was placed at minimum wage income and that individual is now earning at a wage higher than minimum wage.

What if the child's non-custodial parent lives in another state?
The law requires states to cooperate with each other. The non-custodial parent is legally required to make regular child support payments, no matter where he or she lives.

What if a person no longer wants the CSEA's services?
If the children are not on TANF or Medicaid, and the custodial parent or caretaker wishes to discontinue child support enforcement services, the case can be closed by written request, provided there are no arrears owed by the non-custodial parent that are assigned to the State.

Huron County Department of Job and Family Services
185 Shady Lane Drive - Norwalk, Ohio 44857
419-668-8126 - 1-800-668-5175
Fax: 419-668-4738

Website Design by Kyle Knight Media in Sandusky, Ohio.